St. Joseph Novena

O St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the Throne of God, I place in you all my interests and desires. O St. Joseph, do assist me by your powerful intercession and obtain for me from your Divine Son all spiritual blessings through Jesus Christ, Our Lord; so that having engaged here below your Heavenly power I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most Loving of Fathers. O St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating you and Jesus asleep in your arms. I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine Head for me, and ask Him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls, pray for us.

Amen

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Saint Books

    Saint Francis of Assisi: God's Gentle Knight (Along the Paths of the Gospel Series)Along the Paths of the Gospel Saints Series, Daughters of St. Paul. This series includes the following titles: Saint Angela Merici: Leading people to GodSaint Anthony of Padua: Proclaimer of the Good NewsSaint Catherine Labouré: Mary’s MessengerSaint Colette: In the Footsteps of Saint Francis and Saint ClareSaint Francis of Assisi: God’s Gentle KnightSaint John Bosco: The friend of children and young peopleSaint Thérèse of Lisieux And the “little way” of love, and Saint Vincent de Paul: Servant of Charity. The hardcover books contain colorful pictures on each page. They make ideal reading for children ages 6 and up and may be enjoyed as read-alouds by children ages 4 and up.  Saint Colette: In the Footsteps of Saint Francis and Saint Clare ranks among one of my children's favorite stories.
    Book of SaintsBook of Saints, Books 1 - 12, by Fr. Lovasik, Catholic Book Publishing Company.
    Each book contains a one page story and one page colored picture of a saint. The books end with a little prayer. The stories are arranged in chronological order. All of my children like these books. My four year old spends a lot of time looking at the pictures. Fr. Lovasik and Fr. Jude Winkler have also written other books that belong to this same series. Titles includeBlessed Kateri TekakwithaSt. PatrickMary my Mother, etc.
    Brigid's CloakBrigid's Cloak: An Ancient Irish Story, by Bryce Milligan, Eerdmans Books
    The Holy Twins: Benedict and ScholasticaThe Holy Twins: Benedict and Scholastica, by Kathleen Norris, Putnam Juvenile
    New Picture Book of Saints: Illustrated Lives of the Saints for Young and Old, Saint Joseph EditionPicture Book of Saints, Fr. Lovasik, Catholic Book Publishing.
    This book contains a variety of saints' stories. Each story is approximately half a page and is accompanied by a beautiful colored picture of the saint. As always, Fr. Lovasik did a wonderful job. My children enjoy this book. The stories of the saints are not arranged in chronological order, nor do they cover the whole year.
    Saint PatrickSaint Patrick, by Ann Tompert, Boyds Mills Press 1998
    Patrick: Patron Saint of IrelandSaint Patrick: Patron Saint of Ireland, by Tomie de Paola
    Saints for Young Readers for Every Day, Vol. 1: January-JuneSaints for Young Readers for Every Day Volumes 1 and 2, Susan Hellen Wallace, FSP, Daughters of St. Paul.
    I read from one of these books everyday. The books have a story (1 to 2 pages) of a saint or blessed for each day of the year in chronological order (Volume 1 covers January to June, Volume 2 covers July to December). My six year old enjoys telling Daddy about the saint during dinner. My four year old will sometimes listen to the story. Each story ends with a little synopsis of how we can learn from or ask assistance of that day's saint. For instance, "Instead of quitting when things get hard, we can ask St. Emily de Vialar to make us strong and patient as she was." The books contain a few black and white drawings (not many). My one hesitation about recommending these books to others is the story of St. Charles Lwanga and Companions (Volume 1, p. 275). There is nothing wrong with this story in relation to Church teaching; however, the subject matter was inappropriate for young children. I intend to use these books for many years. I highly recommend them for their ease of use. I used to look at the calendar and then at our various saints books to read the saint of the day to the children. Now I just pick up one book and open to my bookmark (holy card). (Christine B. 9/03)

No comments:

Post a Comment